Thursday, April 17, 2014

New workout - Pure Barre Fairfax

Back in February, I read a blog from the DC Fit Crasher about a workout she'd tried at Pure Barre Dupont.  Basically, it's a ballet inspired workout that targets arms, hips, abs and all sorts of muscles that seem to be forgotten in other workouts!  I'm hurting in places today that I'm not sure I've ever felt before!

Read DC Fit Crasher's review here:
 http://dcfitcrasher.com/fit-crashing-at-pure-barre-dupont-and-a-giveaway/

I have been checking it out online since I read her review, and decided I would finally sign up the week of spring break, hoping that would give me plenty of opportunities to drive out to a studio.  There are not PB studios in Woodbridge (of course), so I had to decide between Fairfax and Alexandria.  In the end, I went with Fairfax because the Alexandria classes always seem to fill quickly, and I wanted to ensure that I could get a spot when I wanted.  For new clients, you have the option to pay $100 for an unlimited month of classes.  It seemed like a good deal, considering one class is $25, so I went for it.

They tell new clients to arrive 10 minutes early, but after 40 minutes in the car and not being able to find the studio (Ridge Top Road is under construction and the work vehicles were blocking the store front from my view), I actually arrived 5 minutes late to class.  I was mortified, but they were relatively nice about it and let me join in the class.

When I popped in, they were using small hand weights to do some arm work.  I grabbed mine and started to follow along.  There were probably 15 women in there, and some seemed to know the moves perfectly, which makes me think that the classes are all at least relatively similar.  From there, we stretched a little with a resistance band before moving to the barre.  I didn't really understand the movements, but we worked our "seat" with some pulses and leg lifts.  I hope that in time, I will understand the moves and will do it correctly.  I can say, that my legs were shaking like crazy!

We continued using the barre for abs, but from the floor.  Again, not entirely sure what the moves were or what they were targeting, but I tried my hardest.  Once we left the barre and did mat work, I could really feel the burn in my abs/quads.  I have very weak abs and I was struggling to do the exercises, but I made it through!  We ended with some bridge work and stretching.

As of yesterday, I thought I would be doing back today, but I've since decided to take a day off and go tomorrow instead.  When I went for my 5 mile run yesterday afternoon - 5 hours after the PB workout - I really struggled.  I was exhausted and my legs were slow and heavy.  I made it though, but did not come close to hitting my times.  I need to figure out how to run and crosstrain/build strength.

Stay tuned - when I go tomorrow it'll be a different woman teaching the class, and I'm wondering if we will do the same routine we did yesterday or if it'll be different.  My goal is to go 3 times a week until my month is up on May 14th.

No comments:

Post a Comment